Our ever growing resource of articles for landlords, how to advertise property, tenant references, landlord insurance, evicting tenants, being a good landlord, property letting guides, landlord docs, AST download and lots more.


Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs)

Energy Performance Certificates (known as EPCs) are a way of grading properties for energy efficiency that allows someone (a landlord, tenant or potential purchaser for example) to quickly get a grasp of how much a property will cost to run.

Read more

Landlords' Buildings Insurance

Landlords' Buildings Insurance

Visum can now offer private landlords' buildings insurance. We've partnered up with big name insurers such as Barbon and Endsleigh, to put together buildings insurance policies for landlords and homeowners. They can deliver the cover you need at a price you won't believe.

Read more

Landlord Contents Insurance

Landlords' Contents Insurance

Thanks to our partnership with large insurers like Barbon and Endsleigh (and their financial clout their size gives them with the big underwriters) Visum can offer unbeatable quotes on both and private landlord specific contents insurance.

Read more

Taking a lodger.

Renting Out A Room In Your Home

This article applies to England and Wales only. f you're interested in becoming a landlord and making money from property, then renting a room in your home to a lodger is a good place to start.

Read more

Landlords guide

Landlords Guide to Property Standards intro

Landlords (and their letting agents should they employ one) have a general duty of care to ensure that the accommodation they offer for rent does not have a detrimental effect on the health, safety and welfare of their tenants. All dwellings should also provide a safe and healthy environment for occupants and visitors. The aim of this series of articles is to help landlords to understand what they need to do to meet these obligations, and to provide a guide in plain English to the minimum standards considered acceptable in the private rented sector as set out in the Housing Act 2004.

Read more

Landlord guide

The Decent Homes Standard - 1

The Government has set targets for both social housing providers and private sector landlords to improve their properties so that there are increased numbers of 'Decent Homes' in the UK housing stock. The target focuses on vulnerable households, including families with children, and deprived areas. Although this guide incorporates the Decent Homes standard as a baseline for good practice, there is currently no statutory requirement for private sector landlords to meet the standard. However, by meeting the HHSRS statutory requirement landlords will be achieving one element of the Decent Homes standard.

Read more

Recent Posts

Selling (or Buying) a House with Sealed Bids

Sealed bidding sometimes occurs when there's been a lot of interest in a property and is a good -...

What is a Mortgage Report when buying a property?

Details of the report your solicitor sends with commentary on the details of your mortgage...

What is a Contract Report when buying a house?

Part of the 'pre-contract' stage of a property purchase, a 'contract report' is created after the...

Cash Buyers For Property

Plenty of people claim to be 'cash buyers' in the hope of achieving a price reduction, but...

Transfer Your Possession Order to the High Court

Transferring your possession order to the high court will allow you to use a private bailiff to...

Handling Property Viewings Yourself

You can do a better job than most estate agents if you follow our common sense tips.